2021 Toyota Camry: NHTSA and IIHS Ratings, and Safety Features
Updated on: September 9, 2020
|Overall Rating||5 star|
|Overall Front Star Rating||5 star|
|Front Driver Side||5 star|
|Front Passenger Side||5 star|
|Overall Side Star Rating||5 star|
|Combined Side Barrier and Pole Ratings(Front Seat)||5 star|
|Combined Side Barrier and Pole Ratings(Rear Seat)||5 star|
|Side Barrier Driver||5 star|
|Side Barrier Rear Passenger||5 star|
|Overall Side Pole Star Rating||5 star|
|Rollover Star Rating||5 star|
|Overall Side Barrier||5 star|
|Small Overlap Front(Driver)||Good|
|Small Overlap Front(Passenger)||Good|
|Moderate Overlap Front||Good|
|Head Restraints and Seats||Good|
|Front Crash Prevention||Superior|
|Latch Ease of Use||Good|
The 2021 Toyota Camry has been launched for a base price of $25,045 and comes structurally unchanged from the outgoing 2020 model, which was IIHS' Top Safety Pick of 2020. However, with the 2021 update, Toyota has managed to implement many standard driver-assistance and safety features like forward-collision warning, automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and many more too. Accordingly, it is now IIHS' 2021 Top Safety Pick+.
Coming with five different trims on offer, along with a sporty TRD trim for an MSRP of $32,260 and the Hybrid version starting at $27,270, the 2021 Toyota Camry is quite an excellent proposition for a family buyer. In this comprehensive safety review, we will find out more about how the 2021 Camry performs in the safety front in comparison to other top-ranking midsize sedans like the 2021 Honda Accord, 2021 Nissan Altima, and 2021 Hyundai Sonata.
"We continue to applaud Toyota's decision to make driver-assistance technology standard across its lineup." - CarAndDriver.com
2021 Toyota Camry Safety Features Explained
The 2021 Toyota Camry comes with all the bells and whistles that you could think of in terms of driver assistance and other advanced safety features, like forward collision warning, automated emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and many more too. Even the base trims like LE and SE, both of which come for an MSRP of $25,045 and $26,560, get these features as standard too.
Along with that, the build quality on offer is exceptional too, with construction mostly happening in high-tensile steel and aluminum. If you want a car that surpasses all standards, delivering a lot of innovative technology in a wide variety of fields, look no further than the 2021 Toyota Camry. This vehicle brings a lot of features to the table, especially in terms of protection.
Some of the safety features on offer with the 2021 Camry are:
- Blind Spot Detection- All 2021 Camry models come with blind-spot detection and rear cross-traffic warning. These devices are important protection technologies that improve overall safety. It will warn you when another car approaches your blind spot or comes up behind you.
- Advanced Ten- Airbag System- The new Camry is equipped with Toyota's innovative airbag scheme, which features ten airbags placed around the car. As a passive safety feature, these new airbags are designed to mitigate injury after a crash occurs. In addition to the standard driver and front passenger airbags, the 2021 Camry features front and rear side curtain airbags as well.
- Star Safety System- This Toyota-specific safety package includes everything you're looking for in a vehicle. The Star Safety System includes traction control, vehicle stability control, anti-lock braking, automatic dispensing of brake pressures, brake assist, and smart stop technology. All of these systems converge to create an integrated package with technologies intended to deter accidents.
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)- This device uses a camera and sensor to track whether a frontal collision is likely to happen. If that is the case, the device sends audio and visual warnings to the driver. If the driver fails to respond, the device will automatically apply the brakes to minimize the probability and impact of a collision.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)- Efficient at 32 mph or above, LDA can alert drivers when a car is speeding out of its path. If the driver fails to take corrective action, SA can automatically make minor steering changes to guide the vehicle to the original ane.
- Automatic High beams (AHB)- At speeds above 25 mph, the headlights will automatically turn on the high beams when no vehicle is around and turn them off when a vehicle is nearby.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)- When the cruise control is switched on, this system will detect the distance between your car and the car in front of you, automatically braking and accelerating to maintain a safe distance.
"All 2021 Camrys come with Toyota's Safety Sense 2.5+. It's an impressive suite of standard driver assistance features such as adaptive cruise control, AEB and lane keeping assist." - Edmunds.com
2021 Toyota Camry Safety Verdict
The 2021 Toyota Camry managed to earn the highest overall crash-safety rating of 5-stars in the NHTSA crash test and a good rating in almost all the subsections of the IIHS too. Along with that, the car also comes with all the driver-assistance features as standard too, making it the most feature-packed offering of the mid-size sedan segment when it comes to safety. Considering all these, it is easy to say that if you are looking for a safe and comfortable daily driver, the new Camry would be the best bet for the segment.
- Find best deals on used Toyota Camry for sale near you! >>
- Toyota bZ4X Concept Will Spawn The First All-Electric Vehicle For The Company Under Its "bZ" Brand!
- How much should I pay for the 2020 Toyota Camry?
2021 Toyota Camry FAQs:
How well did the 2021 Toyota Camry fare in the NHTSA and IIHS crash test?
The 2021 Toyota Camry got the highest 5-star overall safety rating in the NHTSA crash test. In the IIHS crash test, the car received a good rating in all the subsections too, making it the "top safety pick" by the organization.
What are some of the standard driver-assistance features on offer with the 2021 Camry?
Driver assistance features on offer with the 2021 Toyota Camry are forward-collision warning, automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and adaptive cruise control.
How much does the 2021 Toyota Camry cost?
The 2021 Toyota Camry comes at a base MSRP of $24,970 for the LE trim and goes all the way to $45,130 for the XSE trim with the 3.5L V6 motor. Apart from the five trim option, there are TRD trim as well as hybrid trim on offer too, both of which starts at $32,185 and $27,270, respectively.
How many miles does a Toyota Camry last?
The Toyota Camry is one of the most reliable sedans in the world. According to the various consumer reports, if maintained properly, a Toyota Camry can easily last for more than 200,000 miles.
2021 Toyota Camry Safety
Midsize sedan safety level reaches new heights with the 2021 Toyota Camry. It may be the car’s powertrain that sways us or the design of the sheet metal. Yet there are a few features on everyone’s list and one such must-have is safety. Good ratings are a universal must-have and when organizations such as NHTSA and IIHS come out with improved scores on a redesigned vehicle, automakers hope that it will improve the brand's reputation with customers.
2021 Toyota Camry Safety Reviews
Donald2021 Toyota Camry
XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)
User Overall Rating
Posted On: June 2, 2021
Toyota Camry 2019
Pros - Looks great, interior is top quality, mpg
Cons - Slow, instrument panel is awkward, orad noise
Wanted the Camry since I first saw it I’ve wanted the Camry since the first time I saw it. It took me about 3 or 4 months before I bought it because I wanted to make sure I was making a good purchase. I paid a great price for my car and I find the car to be worthy of the price. It is efficient, has many safety features, but there is something that is bothering me, the transmission. The gear changes are slow and acceleration from a stop is terrible. The transmission is always hesitating to change gears. I complained about this problem to the Toyota Dealer and they gave me this wonderful solution- always use Sport mode. Yes, it does improve the gearing but I think Toyota can do better than this.
Kristopher R. Donald2021 Toyota Camry
XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)
User Overall Rating
Posted On: May 4, 2021
Pros - Value for money, comfortable, good driveability
Cons - Paint quality
No faults! Despite the popular opinion being Camry is boring I find it fun. The throttle response is good and it gets going fairly quickly. Not only that but the handling, transmission, and ride quality are all impeccable. Wonderful customer service
Brian M. Best2021 Toyota Camry
L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)
User Overall Rating
Posted On: April 29, 2021
Pros - Roomy interior, soft seats, comfortable ride
Cons - No cons
2021 Toyota Camry It is by far the best sedan I have owned so far. Drives like cruise on road, its like transmission, susepsnsion braking, steering everything is in Harmony with each other. Drives very easily to be honest.