One glance at the new Genesis G80 is all it takes to notice the distinct and evolved design that entails the mid-luxury sedan. The G80’s launch today is the celebration of the inception of Genesis as it being at the core of their identity, like the Executive President, William Lee suggests. The Genesis G80 has managed to delight its buyers with performance and luxury and its launch today should entice the individuals who have felt what it’s like to hold the steering wheel.
What makes the new G80 athletic and elegant?
Unlike its predecessors that had one of the two traits i.e elegance or athleticism, the all-new G80 aims to strike a balance between the two. Not only that it also ensures that the brand’s philosophy fits in perfectly with the dispatch of the new sedan.
So what really makes it elegant? The answer is outlined in its exterior that has been luring car buyers since its release. The upscale design at the front makes room for the intricate and detailed headlights with the signature crest grille at the center lined with copper and chrome. No wonder the sedan only competes with luxury brands with this elegance. The detail and design at the front will suffice in the time and effort behind the neatly trimmed finish.
Now let’s take a look at its athleticism. The athletic and powerful personality rises from the hood above the silver-lined grille as the V-shaped lines go all the way back from the hood. You begin to notice more character as we navigate to the sides with the 20-inch wheels anchored by chrome trim along the belt-line that enhances the visual motion of the vehicle. Even the windows have silver treatment at the perimeter that indents as we to the rear. And finally, the dual-quad exhausts are what concludes the athletic personality of the G80.
What are the different powertrains on offer in the all-new G80?
Besides the existing features of the previous iterations, there are a few distinct additions to the elegant G80. If there was any ambiguity in the delight it brings to its buyers, this will make things clear. With an objective to meet the desires of customers across the globe, the 2021 G80 has 3 options to power the vehicle; a 2.5-liter turbocharged Inline-4 with a power generation of 300hp at 5000rpm, a 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 that generates 375hp at 5000rpm, and a 2.5-liter diesel engine which is not an option in the US.
The drive train is RWD and the center of gravity is well balanced to give room to the cabin. The evolution of the sedan entails the elements used to make the vehicle, with 19% Aluminum, it is much lighter than the previous iteration and a catalyst to improved performance. Furthermore, the suspension system in the G80 is controlled electronically feeding information about the impact from the front camera. All these enhancements make the Genesis G80 a higher species not only in its segment but also in comparison to its predecessors.
How does the interior add solace?
As we dive into the cabin, a vital factor that makes more space in the cabin is the design and the center of gravity. The automakers have eliminated the notion of judging the interior based on only technology and the infotainment features, but also the comfort and space it presents to anyone who takes shelter in the sedan.
The driving visibility is great with a lowered dashboard and adjustments made to the rear-view mirrors that fold in as the doors lock. Now if you’re wondering how the vehicle begs entry, it is the door panels which are fitted with carbon-fiber and stitched with leather at the sides. The speakers at the side are covered with Aluminum covered lines.
Next, you are presented with the carbon-fiber that dresses the dash and exudes luxury to the vehicle. The badge at the center of the silver lining below the dash represents a feature that is exclusive to upscale vehicles. All the controls below the infotainment system are framed perfectly to complement the center console.
The balance between technology and space in the cabins is prominent in the 14.5-inch infotainment screen that is easy to navigate integrated with Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
Very intuitive and responsive system to ease the control of the sound and technological features embedded in the vehicle.
Space! The evolved sedan has made so much room to the latest iteration just by making a slight adjustment to the rear passenger seat. By lowering them, the rear seats can accommodate tall people as well not that it couldn’t before but there’s no claustrophobia.
The balance between technology and design in the G80
The repetition of balance resonates in the G80 when we analyze the vehicle’s design and technology. Although you might be tempted to say one is above the other, the sedan has gone out of its way to ensure that is not the case. What do we actually have underneath the handsome body frame?
It is laden with tech such as:
- The Remote Smart Parking Assistant (RSPA) that implements remote drive/reverse functions that promote parking in narrow spaces, as well as perpendicular parking and parallel parking. The key fob is used to regulate this feature and it can be done if you are inside or outside the automobile.
- There is a 12.3-inch which gives you optional 3D or 2D instrument cluster that works according to the driver's eyes, preference and provides various driving information during.
- The Genesis Integrated Controller allows users to set destinations or enter phone numbers by simply writing on the main control center instead of complicated keyboard input.
- A 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system links with the Genesis Integrated Controller to support Genesis Quick Guide and Valet mode.
- Valet mode is a function that enhances security so that users' personal information does not appear on infotainment screens when using a Valet parking service.
- Over-the-air, wireless updates to the navigation system.
What kind of next-gen safety features are on offer in the new Genesis G80?
Yes, the vehicle is loaded with advanced safety features and the brand has shown its commitment to ensuring the drivers and the passenger feel at home.
Some of the Advanced Driver Assistance systems are:
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA II): In addition to the features the predecessors carried, this safety system assists the driver during lane change maneuvers when making a turn and when another vehicle merges its way to block the passage.
- Smart Cruise Control with Machine Learning (SCC-ML): This is the remarkable feature that screams brilliance everywhere as the integrated Articifical Intelligence that dwells inside the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS)assists the driver by independently learning the driver’s features and movements. This is more like a personal relationship with the vehicle.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): If the G80 is in a situation where there is a risk of collision after the vehicle’s safety system has detected it, the FCA forces the vehicle to stop immediately. G80 also extends its assistance to avoid and detect potential collision risks in certain situations when a pedestrian is close to the vehicle and is sensed when the vehicle is in motion.
- Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA): BCA is essentially a Blind Spot Monitor with active capabilities. BCA helps to eliminate the probability of potential impact with a moving vehicle and may alert the driver if a vehicle is detected in the driver’s blind-spot.