2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab Reliability, JD Power Report, Recalls and Warranty
Updated on: May 11, 2021
The Chevy Silverado 2500 and 3500 heavy-duty trucks have always been the American workhorse capable of finishing any task that you throw at it. They have consistently been one of the most sold Chevy Vehicles and one of the highly acclaimed pickup trucks in their respective segments. The 2500HD is a slightly lower capacity truck compared to the brawny 3500 HD. Make no mistake though, the truck is still extremely capable and with the right configuration can tow over 15,000 pounds. Talking about the Silverado 2500HD, the pick-up can be configured with various cab sizes like Extended Cab, Double Cab, and Crew Cab. Bed sizes are also completely configurable irrespective of your cab size. You also have a choice for 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for your powertrain. And talking about the powertrain, two engine options are available. First is the 6.0L Vortec V8 that can be configured to run a gasoline or gaseous LPG/CNG.
If configured with the Gasoline you can also run the Vortec V8 on E85 Flex Fuel for lesser environmental impact. The latter option is the real deal in our opinion which is the 6.6 L Duramax Turbo Diesel with over 910 lb-ft of torque. Which is almost double the Vortec V8. The Silverado 2500HD Double Cab can be availed in four trim levels starting with the base-level Work Truck (WT) for $37,500. Trims go all the way up to the High Country which is the luxury Silverado that can reach over $70,000 with options. The 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD marks the final year of this generation of Silverado. Chevy is poised to release the 2020 Silverado which will be redesigned from the ground up. Anyway, the 2019 Silverado 2500HD faces its age-old rivals like the Ford F250 Super Duty, RAM 2500, and its corporate sibling the GMC Sierra 2500HD.
How reliable is the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab?
Chevrolet has been a brand name consistent with its reliability and excellent service. Even more so when it comes to their Pick-Up trucks. Year after year the Silverado has defeated its rivals at the reliability ratings such as J.D. Power and Consumer Reports. It is even hailed slightly above its identical corporate twin the GMC Sierra 2500HD.
The 2019 Silverado 2500HD is based on the K2XX platform built for the Full Sized Vehicle category. The platform has been in service for more than 5 years in 2019 and GM is planning to replace it with the GMT T1XX Platform next year. However, this platform is still very capable and has an exceptional track record due to its thorough refinement over the years. It is safe to say the 2019 2500HD will serve you well with any task you throw at it.
For the 2019 Model Year, Chevrolet also bagged numerous awards and accolades for its outstanding reliability across segments at the J.D. Power Annual Awards. 4 models under the Chevy umbrella received J.D. Power Quality Award. 3 Models received the J.D. Power Dependability Award. And 1 model received the prestigious J.D. Power Performance Award. Moreover, the Silverado 2500HD received the J.D. Power Highest Quality Award for Large Heavy Duty Pick up Category. All of this shows the dependability and reliability stats of the Silverado 2500HD and Chevrolet as a whole.
How well did the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab fare in J.D. Power Ratings?
J.D. Power is an American data analytics and consumer intelligence company. The company conducts surveys of customer satisfaction, product quality, and buyer behavior for the automotive, banking & payments, wealth & lending, telecommunications, insurance, health, travel, and utility sectors. The ratings are derived from 4 main metrics namely, Quality and Reliability, Driving Experience, Dealership Experience, and Resale Value. The 2019 Silverado 2500HD was the segment topper with a score of 86 out of 100 which helped the truck receive the award as mentioned earlier. The fragmented score is as follows.
- Quality and Reliability:The Silverado scored 88 out of 100 on this front. This aspect takes into account the malfunctions and design flaws experienced by vehicle owners. Covers the entire vehicle from engine to infotainment system. A higher rating means fewer problems.
- Driving Experience:This was a weak point for the Silverado 2500HD as it is a full-sized pickup truck with very little to add to the Driving Experience. Still, it bagged a score of 71 out of 100 which is still higher than other trucks in the segment.
- Resale:Resale value of Heavy-Duty pickup trucks is incredible as they are relevant for a long time compared to other mainstream vehicles. The Silverado 2500HD scored a whopping 94 out of 100 on this front due to its desirability in the second-hand market.
- Dealership Experience:Chevys excellent dealership experience and services helped the Silverado 2500HD score 88 out of 100 in this aspect.
Has the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab had any recalls?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) not only carries out crash tests and rates how safe the car is but also keeps an eye out for recalls and complaints. So if any recall has taken place in America regarding any vehicle it is usually listed on the NHTSA website. This helps consumers know what they’re getting into.
The Silverado 2500HD Double Cab had only one recall in its entirety. The recall was a big one though with over 300,000 units getting affected. Apparently, there was an issue with the engine block heater that resulted in a potential short circuit hazard. Only the vehicles equipped with the 6.6 L Duramax Diesel were affected and recalled due to this issue.
Have there been any consumer complaints against the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab?
Due to the sheer number of Pick-ups that are sold by Chevrolet, there are 24 complaints listed on the NHTSA database. However, Chevrolet has been quick to respond and resolve all of them due to their extensive network of service centers and best in class manufacturer communications. Talking about communications, they resolved about 371 queries from customers for the 2019 Silverado 2500HD. Most of them were related to equipment and electrical systems.
How’s the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab’s warranty coverage?
Chevrolet has always provided extensive warranty coverage on all their vehicles. Service and maintenance are also excellent and the part supply chain can reach the remotest of places where the Silverado 2500HD might operate.As a new owner of a 2019 Silverado 2500HD Double Cab, you will get the following warranty coverage:
- Bumper to Bumper Warranty:The New Car Limited Warranty covers 3 Years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The complete vehicle is covered from bumper-to-bumper —including tires, towing to your nearest Chevrolet dealer, and cosmetic corrosion resulting from defects. Repairs will be made to correct any defect in materials or workmanship.
- Powertrain Warranty:Coverage is provided for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, on the powertrain warranty. And if you opt for the 6.6 L Duramax Diesel you get 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program:Unlike other automakers that end the roadside assistance program as soon as the Limited Bumper to Bumper Warranty ends. Chevrolet extends the program till the powertrain warranty ends on your Silverado 2500HD.
Is the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Double Cab Reliable?
Without a doubt, The 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD is one of the most reliable vehicles on the market. These trucks are designed with one purpose in mind that is to go the distance and complete the task sheet. If you are looking for a heavy-duty pickup, Chevy Silverado 2500HD is currently the best and most reliable option right now. However, we would suggest waiting for the 2020 model year which is going to be redesigned from the ground up with new chassis and features but the same old reliability.