2021 BMW X3 Reliability, JD Power Report, Recalls and Warranty
Updated on: June 7, 2021
The 2020 BMW X3 has been rated one of the most reliable offerings of the compact luxury SUV segment due to the impressive performance in the JD Power report as well as the NHTSA recalls and complaints history. With no major changes offered with the 2021 BMW X3, which comes at a base selling price of $43,000 for the sDrive30i trim and $45,000 for the xDrive30i trim, the reliability is also expected to be quite similar to the outgoing 2020 model, as can be seen from the ownership reviews here.
Coming with the same 2L turbocharged Twinpower inline-4 motor mated to the 8-speed automatic transmission and full-time AWD system for an additional $2,000, the 2021 BMW X3 is one of the most fun to drive SUV of the lot. However, even with all the features and exhilarating performance on offer, can the 2021 BMW X3 come out as the best of the segment in terms of reliability, while competing with the likes of the 2021 Mercedes Benz GLC 300, 2021 Volvo XC60, and 2021 Audi Q5? we will find the answer to this question in this reliability review.
BMW's warranty offerings on the X3 don't stand out among its rivals; a four-year or 50,000-mile basic warranty is basically par for the course in this segment. -Caranddriver.com
2021 BMW X3 J.D. Power Reliability Report
The reliability report is calculated based on four main categories including Resale value, Dealership experience, Driving Experience. Quality and reliability of the model. The 2021 BMW X3 is completely based on the 2020 BMW X3, with minor changes and enhancements in the interior and exterior.
Overall the 2020 BMW X3 scored 80 points out of 100 which is a great deal for any model and brand. The 2020 BMW X3 has maintained a great reputation when it comes to reliability. The 2020 X3 had a great run and also scored great points regarding its reliability and that can be seen in the below table:
Score(Out of Hundred)
Quality and Reliability
The build quality and reliability of the overall model score is 81 which is way above the average and a little below the top-notch, it also encapsulates the interior features and comfort of the 2020 X3. The Driving Experience also outshines among the rivals in the same segment by scoring 81 out of 100. The resale value and experience are also great with 76 points followed by the dealership experience with 79 points.
2021 BMW X3 Recalls (NHTSA)
BMW remains responsible and active when it comes to recalls to build their reputation and for the safety of the customers. The BMW X3 had 7 recalls from 2019 to 2020, the details of the recalls are as follows:
- July 29, 2020, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V443000 - Rearview Camera Software Not Installed/FMVSS 111 - An inoperative rearview camera display can increase the risk of a crash when reversing.
- June 15, 2020, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V355000 - Steering Gear Tie Rods May Become Damaged - A damaged or fractured tie rod may affect vehicle handling and control, increasing the risk of a crash.
- March 19, 2020, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V164000 - Seat Belt Sensors May Not Detect Belted Condition - If the airbag and/or seat belt pre-tensioners deploy improperly in the event of a crash, there is an increased risk of injury to the driver and front passenger.
- March 18, 2020, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V152000 - Improperly Tightened Instrument Panel Casing - In the event of a crash necessitating airbag deployment, the airbag could damage the instrument panel and cause small pieces of the panel to strike the driver or other occupants, increasing the risk of injury.
- October 16, 2019, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V738000 - Steering Rack May Fail - A loss of steering control increases the risk of a crash.
- September 27, 2019, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V684000 - No Back-Up Camera Display Image/FMVSS 111 - The lack of an image in the backup camera display increases the risk of a crash.
- September 25, 2019, NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V678000 - Front Axle Swivel Bearings May Break - Broken swivel bearings can cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
BMW promised a remedy for all the 7 recalls mentioning that the dealers will run an inspection on the particular issues and will resolve them free of charge. Since the 2020 X3 had gone through a complete change before its launch it faced a lot of recalls, but the 2021 X3 is based on the resolved 2020 X3 which gives a good kickstart for the 2021 X3.
- 2021 BMW X3 Infotainment, Seating, and Interior Features
- Get huge discounts on the new BMW X3 for sale!
- 2021 BMW M5 Review - Release Date, Trims, Performance, Interior, And Rivals Comparison
2021 BMW X3 Customer Complaints
The 2020 BMW X3 had a total of only 2 complaints from the customers whereas 2019 had a total of 37 complaints which were enhanced and rectified with the 2020 BMW X3, which develops hope for a complaint-free 2021 BMW X3, some of the main complaints were from the following features and components:
- July 27, 2020 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11341720 - Components: STEERING - Customer had a problem with the steering wheel which was continued even after consulting and inspection from the service department.
- July 9, 2020 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11338358 - Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL - The customer had a defective speedometer and indicated a false mileage and current speed of the vehicle.
- April 24, 2020 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11322192 -Components: STRUCTURE - THE TAILGATE OPENED ON ITS OWN TWICE. BOTH TIMES THE CAR WAS PARKED, ONCE OVERNIGHT. NO KEYS WERE PRESSED.
Unfortunately, the 2020 BMW X3 has already been on the receiving end of three recalls for issues including a possible steering failure, faulty back-up camera and weak swivel bearings. -CarBuzz.com
2021 BMW X3 Warranty
BMW offers only decent and average warranty packages whereas the rivals in the same segment have better warranty packages like Acura. The warranty packages offered by BMW for the 2021 X3 is also the same as that of the 2020 X3 they include:
- The limited warranty covers 4 years or 50,000 miles
- Powertrain warranty covers 4 years or 50,000 miles
- Additional warranty package details are not available at the moment since the 2021 model hasn’t hit the roads yet.
2021 BMW X3 Reliability Verdict
Even though facing several recalls and complaints BMW updated and enhanced the 2020 BMW X3 which turned out to be a great option in the segment. BMWs are reliable in general unless they are taken care of and maintained properly, such as the BMW X3. The 2021 BMW X3 is a fun driving machine and dependable when it comes to the long run. With its existence for over a decade and the build quality of the BMW X3 is a good choice to make.
- 2021 BMW X3 Length, Width, Height, Ground Clearance, and Wheelbase
- 2023 BMW i7 Spotted Testing For The First Time In Heavy Camouflage
- Check out some used BMW X3 for sale in the US at just $5,999!
2021 BMW X3 FAQs
What is the release date for the new 2021 BMW X3?
The 2021 BMW X3 has already been released in the fall of 2020 and is now available at your nearest BMW dealerships.
What are the exterior colors offered on the new 2021 BMW X3?
The 2021 BMW X3 will be offered with a choice of 8 colors: Alpine White, Jet Black, Carbon Black Metallic, Black Sapphire Metallic, Glacier Silver Metallic, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mineral White Metallic, and Phytonic Blue Metallic.
Does the 2021 BMW X3 come with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay?
Yes, the 2021 BMW X3 now comes equipped with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as standard features.
What is the engine on offer with the 2021 BMW X3?
The 2021 BMW X3 comes with a 2L Twinpower turbocharged inline-4 motor pumping out 248 hp and 259 lb-ft of torque.
What is the cargo capacity offered by the 2021 BMW X3?
The 2021 BMW X3 offers an impressive cargo capacity of 28.7 cubic feet.
2021 BMW X3 Reliability Reviews
John Wright2021 BMW X3
xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 8A)
User Overall Rating
Posted On: June 7, 2021
All good so far.
Pros - Cushy seating, techy cabin, peppy engine
Cons - Found nothing so far
Perfect compact. Got it for $47,699 with the new year offers. I have not drove this car around a lot and it has only about $2,700 miles on it. For the most part I'm really satisfied with the car. Really comfortable, loaded with tech, easy to drive and perfect size for our garage! Had a bit of a delay with the delivery in the current Covid Scenario but Roger did his best to get the car foe me as soon as possible.
Charlene J. Landrum2021 BMW X3
sDrive30i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 8A)
User Overall Rating
Posted On: March 26, 2021
Rather buy an Audi
Pros - Cabin design, easy to drive, spacious
Cons - Controls are not user-friendly, touch screen lags sometimes, design/styling is outdated
Want a German car? Buy an Audi! X3 does have some good driving dynamics but when it comes to practicality it loses out big times. The space in the back is a little cramped up for taller people around heads and legs. On the inside, it behaves more like a small two-seater coupe than a hatch. The infotainment is confusing and the controls are not very well put together. It takes quite a lot of time to get the hang of how to use them. Not only that but the design feels outdated too. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable
Julie M. Coleman2021 BMW X3
sDrive30i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 8A)
User Overall Rating
Posted On: March 25, 2021
Pros - Looks/styling, ride comfort, interior
Cons - Gas mileage
Go for it. The new 2021 version is even more comfortable and responsive than the previous year version. The transmission in BMWs is always fantastic and the same goes true for this one as well as it makes a lot of difference when it comes to driving quality. My favorite has to be the noise-free drive Great cabin space. Feels pretty comfortable no matter where I seat. optional Xline package makes it look different. Driver aids do come with this package. Not sure as of now. Got a few added extras which took the price close to $48,000 Helping staff made me chose the best trim for me